Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Details of my setup block...

I thought I would elaborate on my setup blocks...


The first set of mortises on my setup blocks correspond to the fence heights that you can set with the stair step gauge.

Pictured is the setup block for the 12mm cutter.

The stair step gauge has settings for - 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 40mm. The fence raised to its maximum height registers at 52mm.





I would advise against using the 14mm cutter and the 10mm fence height position. It leaves less than 1/8" of sidewall to the mortise!













The other set of mortises correspond to the use of the three equidistant pair of pins.

The manual states that the pins are 20, 37 and 50mm from the cutter centerline to the inside edge of the "pinned" mortise.

Being able to quantify the center-to-center or outside edge-to-outside edge distances seems much more useful to me.

This is easily done with the setup block.




No comments:

Post a Comment