Monday, January 23, 2012

Starting out in the raw...

I'm working on a new "commission."

I've agreed to donate a piece to the upcoming Boys & Girls Club auction.

So I'm thinking about what would be neat to build. And more importantly what do I have the materials already on hand for! Over in the corner of the shop I spied the pile of North Carolina cypress that's been acclimating for a while.

BINGO!!!

Now what to create... At first I was thinking towards the outside. Maybe a nice bench for the patio. But what my heart really wanted to build something more in the fine furniture category.

Cypress isn't commonly thought of as fine furniture wood. Sure it is often found as the secondary wood (interior parts such as drawer boxes) in areas where it grows. But you don't often see it as the dominate wood in a showcase piece. Looking around some more I found a great piece of black walnut to use as the top. Lines started to form in my head as I kept looking at the pieces of cypress. I think I'm starting to get somewhere...

Now I just need to start milling the cypress and getting this piece done.

The auction's next Thursday!




















Better takeout the sawdust too...


No comments:

Post a Comment